[clue-tech] Document synchronization

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Mon Apr 4 00:02:43 MDT 2005

Angelo asked:

> Ever since I got spoiled using IMAP and being able to have the same
> mail everywhere, I've started to want to be able to do the same thing
> with all my other documents, code, software,  etc.  I wish there was
> some way to create a document repository that worked seamlessly with
> my computers.

I find rsync (http://rsync.samba.org) to be absolutely invaluable for
this sort of thing.  There might be some fantastic software solution
out there that I don't know about, but rsync has always been able to do
what I need.

In a nutshell, it's a program that synchronizes two directories with
each other, only copying the changes.  Thus, if you have 50GB of data
(as I do) that you need replicated in several places, you make changes
while working in, say, your office... then go home and synchronize your
home copy from the office server.  You might have changed a hundred
files, but they only total a few megabytes of differences.  You don't
need to re-copy all 50GB.

Rsync can tunnel over SSH, which means it's not only secure but can take
advantage of public-key (password-less) logins... making
synchronization a snap.  I wrote a couple of shell scripts to do it all
for me, and it's as simple as typing, e.g., "filesync office".  The
script knows the IP address of the office, the directories, yada
yada... it just runs rsync and in a minute or two my local copy is
up-to-date.

Some people might suggest CVS for this, but I think that's a tool (a
very good one, mind you) for a different sort of problem.  Nonetheless,
it would be a possibility you might consider.  It depends on the sort
of files you're synchronizing.

HTH,
Jeff

P.S. Rsync is also very useful for remote backups. :)