[clue-tech] Document synchronization

Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 00:37:34 MDT 2005

Hi Angelo,

On Apr 3, 2005 11:39 PM, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
> I recently bought a laptop for the first time.  I really enjoy being
> able to work on things other than at home, but now I have this problem
> with keeping track of where I put things.  I experienced a little bit of
> this dilemna with a UNIX account I have, but of course I could always
> get to that remotely.  Now I feel like I've got too many different
> things spread across too many systems to keep track of things.  How do
> people synchronize their documents?

As Jeff already mentioned, rsync is absolutely invaluable for sync'ing
data. You might use something like this:

rsync -av -H -e ssh --delete --progress user at laptop:/home/user /home/

Run that from your home desktop to sync from your home directory on
your laptop. The best thing to do is to have SSH keys set up so you
can do this without a password.

I work from several different computers, so keeping all the tools I
need on-hand from all of the computers I use is kind of a challenge.

Other things that I do:

Use del.icio.us for bookmarks - that way you can access them from anywhere.

Use Gmail for notes: Use a + address (user+note at gmail.com) where the
+text helps you filter messages. Alternately, you could just put a
unique key in the subject to help filter messages and keep a folder of
"todo" messages.

Use a USB drive for documents and so forth. I got a 512MB USB key
drive for my birthday this year - comes in handy when you don't feel
like booting your laptop once you've gotten home.

There are others, but I'm out of steam for the moment...

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
xonker at gmail.com
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy
to state I finally won out over it." ~ Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"