[clue-tech] Document synchronization

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Apr 4 04:22:18 MDT 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I recently bought a laptop for the first time.  I really enjoy being
> able to work on things other than at home, but now I have this problem
> with keeping track of where I put things.  I experienced a little bit of
> this dilemna with a UNIX account I have, but of course I could always
> get to that remotely.  Now I feel like I've got too many different
> things spread across too many systems to keep track of things.  How do
> people synchronize their documents?

I've been using a program called Unison. It doesn't synchronize
everything automatically, but it is nonetheless pretty nice. First you
set up one or more profiles, which specify one local and one remote
directory to keep in sync. Then, each time you run it, you select a
profile. Then Unison shows a list of the actions it is going to take,
and you can either accept the whole list or choose specific items.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA