[clue-tech] Document synchronization

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Apr 4 08:53:35 MDT 2005

I agree with Greg and disagree with Jeff.

Greg Knaddison wrote:
[...]
> I like CVS and/or Subversion.  People will say "putting stuff beyond
> code in those is not their intention - that's just crazy."  But...it
> provides me with a central home for things in my repository I have
> projects for music, pictures, documents...everything

CVS gives you a central repository.  Sync'ing software like rsync is
great, but you have to keep track of which is the latest copy yourself.

And keeping a history of changes to anything that you change can be
really handy--don't underestimate that.  I have a phone list in a
spreadsheet and since it's in CVS I can go back and look at what was on
it last year (to find people no longer on the list) without cluttering
it with old stuff.

Have you ever copied and commented a line in a document so you can get
the original back easily if the new version turns out to be bad?  Have
you ever copied a file to .bak (or whatever) before editing it?  Have
you ever had to use .old because you already have a .bak?  I see people
do this stuff all the time and things would be much simpler if they used
a version control system.

 > On the one hand it feels kind of weird having todo.txt at
> revision number 1.57 but it's also nice to diff 1.57 and 1.1 and see
> the things I _still_ haven't gotten to!

That doesn't feel weird to me at all.  It's really nice to be able to
look and see when I took the foo entry off the list (either because I
did it, or because I gave up on it).