[clue-tech] Document synchronization

Ken Weinert kweinert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:30:00 MDT 2005

OK, I sort of rsync, but with intermediate steps. Both the remote
machine and the laptop are behind different firewalls and neither has
a public IP.

I usually end up logging into the remote machine, rsyncing to my "dmz"
box, exiting the remote session, then rsyncing from the dmz box to the
laptop.

This seems unneedfully complex, but I've not seen a way around it.

Of course, to my mind most network things are a big black box that has
input and output and once I stumble on to getting it working, any
further futzing is a likely to break it as to make it better. I'm
usually pretty good at following directions, so any pointers on a
reasonable way to do this would be appreciated.

One alternative I see is to put a cvs server on my dmz box and just
update from that on both sides - in concept this doesn't seem much
different than my current two step rsync, but it would have other
benefits.

Thoughts welcome.

Ken Weinert   kweinert at gmail.com