[clue-tech] USB drive unplugging.

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Mon Apr 4 22:09:08 MDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 06:23:12PM -0600, David Anselmi wrote:
> How do I get the LED on my USB drive to go out before I unplug it
> (Debian Sarge, FWIW)?
>
> I used to plug in the drive and then run a script to load modules and
> mount the drive.  Then that script would unmount the drive and remove
> all the modules.  When I went to unplug the drive the LED was off,
> cluing me that it was safe.

FWIW, I simply mount my flash drives with the sync and dirsync options.
When I'm ready to yank them I simply run sync(1) first.  I've never
had a problem with corruped filesystems.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

So I am actually not a big fanatic about having tools that figure out your
problems for you. Because if you need tools for that, you design[ed] something
wrong in the first place.

-- Linus Torvalds