[clue-tech] Juno for Linux.

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Apr 16 17:41:57 MDT 2005

FWIW, I was looking for a cheap dial-up ISP for a non-technical
relative.  Juno/Netzero have a Linspire client that turns out to be
pretty easy to run on Debian.

The client comes as a .deb.  The dependencies are easily available in
Debian, though it didn't list Java (Debian has a packager to build debs
from Sun's stuff).

I have 3 criticisms:

It has to run as root (hangs otherwise, though the logs give a hint that
it isn't dialing).  setuid on the PPP code doesn't cut it, nor does a
user with write access to /dev/modem.

The Java fonts are small (and the command line properties to set them
don't seem to change anything).

The PPP program writes its own ip-up script that doesn't hook ip-up.d
(so you can't wire in your iptables stuff to go up and down
automatically).  Actually, strings shows the entire script in the body
of the PPP executable so it may be possible to modify it there (almost
certainly if you don't change the length of the data, but maybe even
otherwise if it's just a null terminated string).

The web site says you can't distribute the .deb (only available to the
$10/mo customers, not the free ones).  I wonder whether it works with a
free account.  It's just PPP (chat no less) under the hood.  And maybe
any of the PPP clients would work (for free accounts that would bypass
the ads, although the Juno PPP keeps its phone list updated
automagically).  I also wonder whether there's any GNU source in their
PPP that they should be distributing.

I've heard that people have made this work with SuSE as well.

Yeah, Juno sucks compared to FRII and Techangle.  But it's cheap.  And
it's always fun to make unsupported things work.

I see that Fry's offers $10/mo dial-up in Colorado now too.  I wonder
how "just plain PPP" that is.