[clue-tech] Juno for Linux.

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Apr 16 18:48:07 MDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:41:57 -0600
David Anselmi wrote:

> Yeah, Juno sucks compared to FRII and Techangle.  But it's cheap.  And
> it's always fun to make unsupported things work.
>
> I see that Fry's offers $10/mo dial-up in Colorado now too.  I wonder
> how "just plain PPP" that is.

FRII is really good. Only gripe I have is their phone support is still
more or less of the "Reboot Windows" variety on connection problems.
Although to be honest, I haven't had any connection problems in a long
while, other than occassionally loosing routing, which is solved by
hanging up and redialing. I will say that they seem overpriced for other
services though. Their PPP is indeed just plain-jane, although they do
offer a "dialup accelerator" which of course isn't available for Linux.
The also have, included, a good spam-filtering service.

But note that their $10/month service is for 10 hours per month. I'd use
that up in 2 or three days.

Actually, as much as I like FRII, what I'd really like right now is a
"bandwidth only" dialup service. Really. Since I can get e-mail free
(gmail, hotmail, yahoo) if I want, or at very low cost, and web hosting
free (until the promotional deal I'm on expires in October of next year),
the only thing I really need FRII for is a connection. I doubt there's
anyone selling cheap dialup accounts without anything other than the
connection though.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E