On LVM+RAID (was Re: [clue-tech] ubuntu linux)

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 12:09:10 MDT 2005

I agree RAID + LVM may not be for newbies. But in the
distros that I have used you can bypass the disk
configuration all together. I used to have to do this
when using in particular the DAC RAID controllers
because they were best with params that were not
offered in the canned disk setup.

Actually the statement about lvm2 is a little
misleading if I understand it correctly. Actually the
current kernels can run the old lvm.

Where I got into trouble was when trying to add a new
array after the initial install. At this point I have
successfully added the array using command line
utilities: pvcreate, vgcreate, and lvcreate + the
standard filesystem utils and finishing it up with a
piece of tape on fstab :)

-Mike
--- Crawford Rainwater