On LVM+RAID (was Re: [clue-tech] ubuntu linux)

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Apr 20 16:58:01 MDT 2005

mike havlicek wrote:
[...]
> Actually the statement about lvm2 is a little
> misleading if I understand it correctly. Actually the
> current kernels can run the old lvm.

No, 2.4 works with LVM 1 or 2.  2.6 only works with LVM2.  So the
upgrade path I recently followed was LVM1 -> LVM2, then 2.4 -> 2.6, then
/dev -> udev.  When I tried to upgrade LVM, kernel, and udev all at once
it broke too many things to fool with.

[...]
> finishing it up with a piece of tape on fstab :)

Just make sure it's transparent tape so you can still read the labels
through it.