[clue-tech] rsync on NT/2k/xp

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Apr 20 16:47:44 MDT 2005

skipworthy wrote:
> David Anselmi wrote:
[...]
>> Where'd you get rsync for Win2k?  I used the one that came with Cygwin
>> and it was simple.
>
> I've been using the Dlls extracted from Cygwin and an executable that
> was supposedly developed originally for nt4, but has been tested on 2k,
> and I am assuming will work on xp/2k3, but so far I seem to be wrong.
>
> Cygwin's great, and MKS also has some similar features, but I can't do
> the overhead of the whole cygwin thing- I need a streamlined procedure
> for this client.

You're using XP/2k3 and you think Cygwin isn't streamlined?  Did you try
a cygwin install and deselect everything but rsync and its dependencies?
  Did you install cygwin on a development box and pull out the dll and
rsync and then add whatever it complained about missing?  I've done this
with SSH and I didn't need many files.

The headache you give yourself using some questionable .exe, not to
mention difficulty keeping a stripped down cygwin updated, seems like
false economy to me.  Not just for you but for the client too.

> Everything seems to work but the rsync service: it
> tries to start but won't stay up, which is killing me, cuz I keep
> reading about all these cases where it works flawlessly, like you say...

Clearly there's a race condition in rsync caused by your version being
linked against an old Win32 runtime.  So you can relink rsync or install
the old runtime (which didn't notice the race condition because it was
slower than current).  'Course installing the old runtime might cause
other system instability, or void your XP warranty.

I could be wrong though since I'm reading your mind about the errors you
get.

> any ideas? suggestions for similar replacements anyone?

Cygwin.