[clue-tech] KDE soumd question

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Apr 21 16:40:51 MDT 2005

Peter H. wrote:

> What about using JACK and jack-connect?

That's what I might suggest, too. Plus maybe the QJackctl GUI. But it
depends how serious you are about audio applications. JACK takes a fair
amount of work to set up properly. The biggest thing is that access to
the realtime clock is highly recommended; in order to do that you either
need to run JACK as root (bad) or install the realtime-lsm module, which
   you use to give a normal user (e.g. yourself) realtime access.
However, realtime-lsm is not provided by most distros, and generally
requires a custom kernel with some non-standard options. It's really not
too hard if you have some experience compiling kernels, but still not
quite for the faint of heart.

That's the bad news. The good news is that JACK supports both ALSA and
OSS, and there is a large and growing number of audio apps that support
JACK. So many apps that were-formerly OSS-only can now be used with
ALSA, and vice versa. And if you use QJackctl, you get a nice graphical
patchbay in which you can drag-and-drop connections between various apps
and devices.

Personally, I have found JACK to be well worth the small headaches of
setting it up. You should just be aware that there are headaches.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA