[clue-tech] KDE soumd question

Peter H. drumvudu at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 21 17:54:13 MDT 2005

Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:
> Peter H. wrote:
> > What about using JACK and jack-connect?
>
> That's what I might suggest, too. Plus maybe the QJackctl GUI. But it
> depends how serious you are about audio applications. JACK takes a fair
> amount of work to set up properly. The biggest thing is that access to
> the realtime clock is highly recommended; in order to do that you either
> need to run JACK as root (bad) or install the realtime-lsm module, which
>    you use to give a normal user (e.g. yourself) realtime access.
> However, realtime-lsm is not provided by most distros, and generally
> requires a custom kernel with some non-standard options. It's really not
> too hard if you have some experience compiling kernels, but still not
> quite for the faint of heart.
>
> That's the bad news. The good news is that JACK supports both ALSA and
> OSS, and there is a large and growing number of audio apps that support
> JACK. So many apps that were-formerly OSS-only can now be used with
> ALSA, and vice versa. And if you use QJackctl, you get a nice graphical
> patchbay in which you can drag-and-drop connections between various apps
> and devices.
>
> Personally, I have found JACK to be well worth the small headaches of
> setting it up. You should just be aware that there are headaches.
>
> --
> Matt Gushee
> Englewood, CO, USA

Matt, I agree completely. I use it quite a bit myself. We setup a mini studio
in the home office with it. Some of the apps that linux has out now for sound
are really getting impressive. Hell, I still love Snd. Coming from a ProTools
background, Using Ardour and Protux initially took a learning curve. Protux's
use of mouse gestures is a great tool once you get it firmly planted in your
mind.. Cheers..//Peter

--
Peter H.
GPG Key ID: 0xCB8F40BD