[clue-tech] Fried MoBo, suggestions for replacement?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 08:47:35 MDT 2005

Hi there,

> Well, I came home the other day to find that my home Linux machine
> decided that it's had enough, and went to the great computer resting
> place in the sky.   It won't boot anymore ... in fact it won't even
> POST.   I'm guessing that the motherboard is bad, so I'm looking to
> replace it fairly soon (within the next few days).

Have you verified that it's the motherboard and not the power supply? If
not, you might try a different power supply, just to be on the safe side.

> I could go out and google or check a distro's hardware compatibility
> list (and I have to some degree), but I'd like to get some real-world
> feedback as to what works well and what doesn't.  I've heard ASUS and
> MSI work well... but just looking for some guidance.

I don't have a specific model to recommend, but I've had very good luck
with ASUS and MSI - my most recent purchase was a Jetway motherboard
that I found on Newegg.com and saw that several people had recommended
it specifically for Linux, but the last two before that were MSI, and
the four or five before that were ASUS.

I would also recommend AMD64 as the way to go.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <xonker at gmail.com>

"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books... Men
should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives
and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I
can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" -- James Stewart