[clue-tech] Gateway Internal/External Web Page Issue

Timothy Klein tck at silverklein.net
Sat Apr 23 14:10:04 MDT 2005

Hey,

So I have a static IP address, which runs a web page full of mundane
stuff.  It uses apache on Debian Linux, (unstable, kernel 2.6.7).

It is behind a Zoom X4 DSL router.  The Zoom router has the IP address
assigned to it; it forwards any requests for port 80 to my linux server
on the local network (Keats).  In Apache, my server name is set to my
static IP address, as I don't have a domain name resolved to that.

Here's the trouble:  that works fine from OUTSIDE my private network.
 From the INSIDE, the static IP is the Zoom router; it does not forward
http requests from the inside.  Thus I get the Zoom configuration web
page from links to my IP inside my network.

This is a nuisance.  I can, and have, moved the Zoom web config.
interface off of port 80.  Is there simple way to redirect requests for
my static IP port 80 to Keats port 80 on my (small) internal network?
I have two linux machines: I imagine I can use iptables for those.
But what about my iMac and the Windows laptop?

I'm trying to think of a way to do it with some kind of routing on the
web server Keats, but not coming up with anything.

Tim
--
Timothy Klein: t[ango]c[harlie]k[ilo]@silver[_]klein.net
Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp