[clue-tech] Please trim your posts - netiquette again

Chris Tubutis ctubutis at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 14:28:09 MDT 2005

On 23 Apr, J wrote:
> I noticed that clue sends out a monthly reminder to explain that you
> are subscribed to clue

Yes, many lists send out such messages, many of which also remind you of
your username & password (and that gets some people upset - OMG!!!
You're sending my password in CLEAR TEXT!!! *GASP* Oh, the HORRORS!!!
But that's a different topic).

> which seems silly since you would notice that
> you are getting mail from clue way before you get this notice but...

Some lists I'm on are very low-traffic, and those reminders have been
helpful. Say, when I want to go on vacation and don't want my Inbox to
fill up while I'm away, I can typically go set my delivery options to No
Mail before I leave and then change it back when I return.

The messages also remind people how to unsubscribe; if you were on
e-mail lists 10 years ago you probably remember all the "unsubscribe"
messages that were sent to the lists.

> This seems like a wasted opportunity to educate people about the
> expectations we list critters have for stuff that lands in our inbox.

This might be a good idea, include some sort of Netiquette guidelines in
that monthly mail. Or maybe just in the initial Welcome message. That's
for the list maintainers to determine....

ct