[clue-tech] Driver Disk?

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Sat Aug 6 10:15:36 MDT 2005

I have an old Dell PowerEdge 2300 which suffers the dilemma of no modern
Linux driver support for the on-board American Megatrends PERC 2/SC RAID
controller. This machine is currently running CentOS 3, which installed
without a hitch (which, apparently, included the last version of the
megaraid driver that supports this RAID controller).

CentOS 4 will not install on this machine. Apparently, the megaraid
drivers with CentOS 4 do not support this RAID controller. Fine; I
hunted around with Google and found repeated recommendations to build my
own driver disk, obviously from the existing CentOS 3 source. The
problem is, I don't know how to build the megaraid driver from this
source, nor how to actually fashion the driver disk

How do I create a driver disk from my existing CentOS 3 installation
that will place the appropriate drivers onto floppy such that the CentOS
4 installer can use them? Please be explicit in detail -- I don't know
what it means to "build a new megaraid.ko", as written elsewhere.

Thanks for any help!

--
William