[clue-tech] Driver Disk?

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 00:32:08 MDT 2005

--- William <wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com> wrote:

> I have an old Dell PowerEdge 2300 which suffers the
> dilemma of no modern
> Linux driver support for the on-board American
> Megatrends PERC 2/SC RAID
> controller. This machine is currently running CentOS
> 3, which installed
> without a hitch (which, apparently, included the
> last version of the
> megaraid driver that supports this RAID controller).
>
> CentOS 4 will not install on this machine.
> Apparently, the megaraid
> drivers with CentOS 4 do not support this RAID
> controller. Fine; I
> hunted around with Google and found repeated
> recommendations to build my
> own driver disk, obviously from the existing CentOS
> 3 source. The
> problem is, I don't know how to build the megaraid
> driver from this
> source, nor how to actually fashion the driver disk
>
> How do I create a driver disk from my existing
> CentOS 3 installation
> that will place the appropriate drivers onto floppy
> such that the CentOS
> 4 installer can use them? Please be explicit in
> detail -- I don't know
> what it means to "build a new megaraid.ko", as
> written elsewhere.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> --
> William

You want a quick answer... insmod.

I have worked with the PERC (PowerEdgeControllers)

BTW those controllers have their downfalls in real
redundance.

I don't really know what you want. Those of us that
used RAID before it was a "driver"  the option had to
be hacked into the installation kernel. Build the
kernel module and insert it as a module required for
install....

Ha-Ha--> It is possible. But be careful about how you
ask for what you want.....

And other than a kernel module that had to be inserted
into the kernel ... what are you talking about ?

Diff between driver and module support....

Do you want the PERC monolithically coded into the
kernel?

... I will not baby sit you ...
-Mike