[clue-tech] Driver Disk?

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Sun Aug 7 19:04:22 MDT 2005

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> If you get that far, you probably want *.ko for a 2.6 kernel.

Okay, I am now including the *.ko files, as well as the *.o files.

> You probably want to use a DOS file system.

At this recommendation, I tried an msdos file system.  With that, the
CentOS 4 installer just repeatedly asks for me to insert a driver disk,
over and over.  With an ext3 file-system, it gets a little further, but
bails with an error that it cannot mount /dev/fd0.

This time around, I noticed the phrase 'ext2' fly by the screen during
initialization.  So, I put an ext2 file-system on the floppy... to no
avail.  I get the same reaction as if it were msdos:  "Insert your
driver disk into /dev/fd0" over and over.

Is there any documentation that gives the specific requirements for
creating a viable driver disk for kernel 2.6 installations?  Google
searches for "linux driver disk" return nothing especially useful on the
first few pages.

Thanks for your continued interest in this problem.