[clue-tech] Linux-HA and openLDAP problem

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Aug 10 18:28:14 MDT 2005

adam bultman wrote:
[...]
> Problem:  I stop a node by stopping heartbeat, and the other node kicks
> in. LDAP is properly restarted with the master slapd.conf, and things
> are fine.  the slave node restarts ldap (I put a call to ldap restart in
> the heartbeat script's stop function)..  I restart heartbeat on the
> server.  The new "master" gets the ip address,  and starts slapd with
> the master conf file.  However, the slave restarts ldap, runs ifconfig,
> and then... notice s that it has the virtual ip, and restarts slapd as
> the master.

So when the slave notices that the master is back up, besides (and
before) restarting ldap it has to drop the "virtual" IP, right?  I'd
guess that the HA stuff should handle that.  But if LDAP knows it's
master when it has the IP the IP has to go away before it will be slave.

If you can make the config files very similar, maybe LDAP doesn't need
to know whether it's master or slave.