[clue-tech] Linux-HA and openLDAP problem

Adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Wed Aug 10 19:40:26 MDT 2005

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> adam bultman wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Problem:  I stop a node by stopping heartbeat, and the other node
>> kicks in. LDAP is properly restarted with the master slapd.conf, and
>> things are fine.  the slave node restarts ldap (I put a call to ldap
>> restart in the heartbeat script's stop function)..  I restart
>> heartbeat on the server.  The new "master" gets the ip address,  and
>> starts slapd with the master conf file.  However, the slave restarts
>> ldap, runs ifconfig, and then... notice s that it has the virtual ip,
>> and restarts slapd as the master.
>

> So when the slave notices that the master is back up, besides (and
> before) restarting ldap it has to drop the "virtual" IP, right?  I'd
> guess that the HA stuff should handle that.  But if LDAP knows it's
> master when it has the IP the IP has to go away before it will be slave.
>
> If you can make the config files very similar, maybe LDAP doesn't need
> to know whether it's master or slave.

The HA stuff does handle the dropping of the virtual IP for me.  The
only thing I'm doing with that IP address is seeing if is bound to the
current server - the only problem is, it either doesn't drop it fast
enough, or it purposefully restarts openLDAP before it drops it, giving
me problems.

As for LDAP - if I'm replicating, I don't have the option of making them
any more identical. If I put both the updatedn and the replica stanzas
in the config, I end up with two servers that replicate everything back
to each other incessantly.  The purpose of the two different configs was
the slave config allows updates from the other node, and the master
config will push updates down to the slave.

Bummer!

Adam