[clue-tech] Anyone else using tripwire?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Dec 5 09:12:07 MST 2005

Whenever I get tripwire reports, I always see files that have changed in
/usr/sbin and /usr/lib

The stuff in /usr/sbin is just changing timestamp e.g.
Modified object name:  /usr/sbin/update-gtk-immodules

Property:            Expected                    Observed
-------------        -----------                 -----------
* Inode Number         167758                      167802
* Modify Time          Wed 11 May 2005 02:45:21 PM EDT
                                                 Sun 20 Nov 2005
03:29:48 PM EST

I can't really think of any reason why something in /usr/sbin should
have its timestamp updated

The stuff in /usr/lib is actually changing:
Modified object name:  /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0.600.4

Property:            Expected                    Observed
-------------        -----------                 -----------
* Inode Number         163919                      163955
* Modify Time          Wed 11 May 2005 02:46:36 PM EDT
                                                 Sun 20 Nov 2005
03:30:08 PM EST
* CRC32                A/zITz                      DeZs5j
* MD5                  DUoNCBxLSXhktKS7pSMDhn      A3aLt6y4fQyRFW0JwChAeP

That's even more scary, but I have no reason to believe this is incorrect.

Does anyone know why stuff would continuously be changing if there are
no updates to the system software?

Angelo