[clue-tech] CLUE jabber server?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 22:58:03 MST 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 9:54 pm, David L. Anselmi wrote:
>  But I don't see any point to fooling with new technology if it doesn't
>  provide some clear benefit.

Hey Dave,

Certainly don't try IM before you make up your mind ;)

Actually, IM has it's place for a number of reasons - mostly that it's real
time.  Surely you have once or twice been involved in email threads where you
are going back and forth with one sentence emails.  In the Real World (tm)
people usually pick up the phone.  What if your 'mate is in Timbuktoo?

IM enables real time interactions.

Let's not forget the original 'talk' application in UNIX - the first IM
client, IMHO (although only local to a box).  Surely you've never used it to
ping another admin who's not near a phone or on email...

Other handy things are chat rooms.  At work, we setup a chat room for a team.
Members can fire off a question real-time rather than waiting for an email
response.

This might be interesting for you late-adopters out there ...

+ http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/133/report_display.asp
--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
        - Albert Einstein