[clue-tech] Re: CLUE jabber server?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:06:58 MST 2005

On 12/14/05, Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:
> Greg Knaddison wrote:
> >
> >Anyone else on a jabber network, if it's all set up hunky-dorily.  You
> >can use it to IM with google talk folks, jabber.org folks, etc.
> >

> I thought the whole point of setting up your own jabber server was so
> that it was a PRIVATE IM system...

right...I misspoke.  Depending on how it's configured you can talk
either only to other people on that server or also to other people who
are participating in jabber's peer network (like jabber.org, google
talk, etc.).

Personally, I don't see much benefit to a "PRIVATE" IM system.  Are
you looking for privacy (like, nobody can read the message)? Then why
not use something like gaim-encryption so that the messages are
_really_ private and not just "as private as all the routers and
firewalls and servers in between keep them".  If you want to restrict
the people in the pool that you are sending/receiving IMs with, that's
the buddy list and the "only allow IMs from people on my buddy list"
option.

Other than those two items, what does a "PRIVATE" IM server get you?

Cheers,
Greg