[clue-tech] Re: CLUE jabber server?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 11:24:01 MST 2005

On 12-15 08:06, Greg Knaddison wrote:

> Personally, I don't see much benefit to a "PRIVATE" IM system.  Are
> you looking for privacy (like, nobody can read the message)? Then why
> not use something like gaim-encryption so that the messages are
> _really_ private and not just "as private as all the routers and
> firewalls and servers in between keep them".  If you want to restrict
> the people in the pool that you are sending/receiving IMs with, that's
> the buddy list and the "only allow IMs from people on my buddy list"
> option.
>
> Other than those two items, what does a "PRIVATE" IM server get you?

Well, for corporations, they can host their own if they are the sort of
company that wants to block/watch IM traffic that may be flowing out of the
company. They could use jabber and block other clients. And you don't have
to trust that every person is turning on encryption as well...assuming it's
all routed locally or over something protected if co-located. All of your
employees could even turn on encryption and still not be safe since outside
folks might have theirs turned off.

It's a control issue, I'd think. I know there are products being sold that
will add more control and logging to IM communications, and hosting your own
probably adds even more control.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Greasemonkey Amazon scripts for Colorado libraries:
http://userscripts.org/people/2388
Heaven doesn't want me and hell is scared I am going to take over.
-Eve Toth