[clue-tech] CLUE jabber server?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 11:39:55 MST 2005

On 12-14 21:59, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> [...]
> >I can tell you that once you have it, it's irritating when someone at work
> >does not use it.
> [...]
> >It's nice to be able to ping someone with a quick question or to see if
> >they
> >are there for a phone call if in co-located office.
>
> So not much use at my office, where we can't figure out calendaring in
> Outlook ;-)

Yeah, it's just another tool, and it might not fit everywhere. This was a
smaller company, with a very young staff who would be using IM most likely
anyway without a dictate from above.

I do have to say that I was a long-time holdout. I didn't really start using
IM until I was checking out Jabber in 2001 because of a client project we
had in which we were going to try to script contacting someone via IM
regardless of client type they used, and Jabber was what I found that might
have fit the bill. Alas, we didn't implement the IM stuff - we only
contacted via email for the first cut. This was for frogmagic.com, now
blindgift.com/proflowers.com/zipgift.com/givechocolate.com.

Later in that same year, I was out on a contract where AIM was more or less
required by the company.

Anyway, I felt much like you probably do - I thought it was a rather silly
and shiny object that was distracting when trying to work.

In any case, I still find myself annoyed that they are proprietary networks
after all these years despite IETF and Jabber's efforts. Imagine if email
and the web worked like IM does. Maybe it just takes a while since email had
a rocky start too.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Greasemonkey Amazon scripts for Colorado libraries:
http://userscripts.org/people/2388
Heaven doesn't want me and hell is scared I am going to take over.
-Eve Toth