[clue-tech] Re: CLUE jabber server?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 15:05:15 MST 2005

On 12-15 12:24, Greg Knaddison wrote:

> Not sure I follow you htere on being safe.  The way gaim-encryption
> works (and trillian's version and I imagine most systems - that being
> the point after all), if I have encryption turned on and they don't,
> they won't be able to read anything, so it kind of makes the
> conversation one sided if both sides don't have their encryption
> turned on.

I don't think it works like that from what I can tell, at least in Trillian.
I haven't verified by sniffing the packets, but when I have SecureIM on and
the other party does not, I don't get the usual "Establishing secure
connection..." that you see when they do have it on. I think it's probably
reasonable to think that since they can read the messages, it's plaintext.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
Greasemonkey Amazon scripts for Colorado libraries:
http://userscripts.org/people/2388
Wicked people are always surprised to find ability in those that are good.
-Marquis De Vauvenargues