[clue-tech] Re: CLUE jabber server?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:24:01 MST 2005

On 12/15/05, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, for corporations, they can host their own if they are the sort of
> company that wants to block/watch IM traffic that may be flowing out of the
> company. They could use jabber and block other clients. And you don't have
> to trust that every person is turning on encryption as well...assuming it's
> all routed locally or over something protected if co-located.

These are clear benefits of a private IM system inside of a company.
Not so much for a CLUE server, though I recognize I didn't specify
CLUE only private.

> All of your
> employees could even turn on encryption and still not be safe since outside
> folks might have theirs turned off.

Not sure I follow you htere on being safe.  The way gaim-encryption
works (and trillian's version and I imagine most systems - that being
the point after all), if I have encryption turned on and they don't,
they won't be able to read anything, so it kind of makes the
conversation one sided if both sides don't have their encryption
turned on.

Of course, the transmission is encrypted and then the logging is
generally not.  Logging the IP and root password to a text file on a
compromised machine would be a real bummer.

Greg