[clue-tech] CLUE jabber server?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 16:13:47 MST 2005

On Saturday 17 December 2005 11:45 am, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Does CLUE need to set this up though?  There seem to be many servers
> already available[0].  Why not just use one of those?

Dave,

Need is a funny thing because CLUE (IMHO) is not just about technical needs.
It's about education and fun.  I think sometimes we (especially me) forget
that we are here to enjoy technology, not just accomplish something that's in
need.

Do we need a jabber server?  No.  Would it be fun to see what happens when we
set it up?  Yes.

So, I thought we should set it up simply for the fun of it!  Play with new
technology.  Learn about administering a jabber server.  Something unique to
our LUG.

The unique (compared to other non-open protocols like AIM) thing about the
jabber protocol is that people can connect via our server to any other jabber
server.  In effect, we become a gateway (like an SMTP server) for our
members.  We also can have chat rooms for technical issues or whatever.

Jeff
--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
        - Albert Einstein