[clue-tech] fsck and badblocks

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Feb 10 13:06:21 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:00:31 -0500
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> > 1st question is what sort of disks you're using. Modern IDE drives
> > manage bad blocks internally. There's no utility at all, AFAIK, to
> > having the OS try to do so.
>
> I think I have an IDE drive because /proc/devices says there's a block
> device called ide0.  Are you saying I shouldn't have to use fsck -c ?

I can't improve on Kevin's comments -- you'll have to decide for yourself
whether you want to use it. Can't hurt. "Shouldn't" isn't really
operative. If the internal bad block reallocation is working, and there's
still room on the drive for it to continue to do so, then no, you
shouldn't. My understanding is that as long as the reallocation is
working, you won't find any bad blocks, since the drive handles them
internally. As a diagnostic, I think smartctl is superior.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E