[clue-tech] fsck and badblocks

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 13 10:52:28 MST 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> I was reading the man page for badblocks and it says to use it by using
> the -c option with fsck.  Does this mean that fsck doesn't check for bad
> blocks automatically?  How would you do a reboot/fsck with the -c option?

No, fsck does not check for bad blocks automatically (checking every
block takes a long time).  You ask it to by:

e2fsck -c [other options] device

where device is the device file for your partition.

Do you need to reboot to run fsck?  No.  Do you need to run it on an
unmounted or read-only partition?  Possibly, but it probably doesn't
matter if you aren't fixing anything.