[clue-tech] Linux on a Dell PowerEdge 2300?

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 08:02:48 MST 2005

--- Greg Knaddison wrote:
> http://www.centos.org/
> http://whiteboxlinux.org/
> http://taolinux.org/
>
> RHEL Enterprise clones abound.  Also, with RHEL4 due tomorrow
> according to the rumors...these RHEL clones will be releasing that in
> a week or two.  If you are just getting around to "upgrading" boxes to
> FC3 then you seem to have as much time as anyone else: not enough.  I
> personally think that Fedora is fine for one or two boxes - but no
> more than that.  The twice+ per year upgrade cycle is just too much
> for me to do more than that.  However, with RHEL4 you get the 2.6
> kernel and all the other fun stuff so you might as well use one of the
> clones.  Since it's a home machine and you are comfortable with FC3,
> you don't need the support that a RedHat version of RHEL4 would get
> you.

Out of curiosity, I pulled the bad drive from the box, reconfigured the RAID firmware for the new
drive array as one logical drive (RAID 5), and checked out these alternative Enterprise Linux
distributions.

White Box seems to be dead.  An announcement on their homepage essentially says "we're not working
on this any more, go get CentOS instead."  So, I did.  It was a wonderful thing!  CentOS installed
flawlessly on the first go (Server install, only).  Unfortunately, it seems the forums at the
CentOS forum are relatively unresponsive.  I clicked around, and it looks like people tend to wait
many days before anyone replies -- in some cases, it is the original poster simply replying to
themselves to post additional information or progress.

I hope to use a distribution that has a future, at least, more than just a few months.  Would you
put your confidence into CentOS, or a different (free) Enterprise distribution?

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)