[clue-tech] Linux on a Dell PowerEdge 2300?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 20:40:44 MST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:59:18 -0700, Dave Price <kinaole at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just an FYI - I just set up a 2300 with hardware SCSI raid - I could
> not find any distro that included the drivers except for RH Enterprise
> Server which was NOT free .., but is supported by Dell.

Ahem:

http://www.centos.org/
http://whiteboxlinux.org/
http://taolinux.org/

etc.

RHEL Enterprise clones abound.  Also, with RHEL4 due tomorrow
according to the rumors...these RHEL clones will be releasing that in
a week or two.  If you are just getting around to "upgrading" boxes to
FC3 then you seem to have as much time as anyone else: not enough.  I
personally think that Fedora is fine for one or two boxes - but no
more than that.  The twice+ per year upgrade cycle is just too much
for me to do more than that.  However, with RHEL4 you get the 2.6
kernel and all the other fun stuff so you might as well use one of the
clones.  Since it's a home machine and you are comfortable with FC3,
you don't need the support that a RedHat version of RHEL4 would get
you.

I have installed RedHat8/9 and FC1/2/3 and Centos3.3 and WhiteBox3.2
on many 4 year old Dell PowerEdge 2300 and 2400 towers and they all
"just worked".

Good luck,
Greg