[clue-tech] AIX boxes

T. foo7775 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 20:55:30 MST 2005

David Anselmi wrote:
> T. wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   Thought I'd ask whether anyone knows where I might be able to find a
>> cheap machine that can run AIX 5L.

(Snipped)

> Q: How can I get such hardware?
>
> A: Ask Ebay.

Sure - but the advantage of a regional list such as this is that there's
a *chance* that one might be able to find the hardware locally, & thus
save the cost of shipping (not to mention the potential for damage).

 From having moved an RS/6000 a couple of times, I'm pretty confident
that shipping one wouldn't be even remotely close to cheap.

> Now IIRC, 5L is Linux.

Errrr, that's close.  5L is the first version of AIX that will run Linux
applications, but it's still AIX (kind of the "best of both worlds" in
my book).

> Interesting that IBM has a FAQ under software
> technologies for Linux, but not for AIX.
>
> Dave

Indeed - that *is* interesting.

Thanks for the reply!

T.