[clue-tech] Questions about CentOS/Fedora

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 16:34:27 MST 2005

--- Collins Richey wrote:
> I included CentOS at the recommendation of Greg Knaddison, but I've
> encountered a few problems. Do we have any other CentOS users? I have
> a few questions about FC3 and

You asked if there were any CentOS users on this list, so I figured I'd toss in my 2 cents.  :)
I'm a new CentOS user this month (my introduction to it is documented in the archives of this very
mailing list for this month) -- been a Red Hat user for a while before-hand.  I am very happy with
it, so far.  Reading the remainder of your post inspired the following reply:

* As you noted, CentOS is based on RHEL.  Thus, it's real target machine is a server, not a
workstation.

* If you're using FireFox on a GUI over CentOS, you're probably using the wrong OS for that
workstation.  I'm from the school of thought that servers don't run GUIs, and it serves me well.
I now have several servers running smoothly with CentOS and minimal software.  Not a single one
has any GUI installed, much less any such software.

* Servers don't generally come with sound cards and CD-Burners.  If using CentOS on a server, then
the hardware problems you list are moot.

* The relatively slow turnout of updates for CentOS is deliberate, as compared to Fedora, and I
believe you know why.  Just in case you're looking for someone to fortify a suspicion:  CentOS is
a server OS, which requires a greater level of testing and acceptance before update roll-outs.  As
you stated, Fedora deals in cutting-edge technology which, obviously, is less widely tested before
being pushed.  Servers can't be put at risk like workstations should a particular new update cause
serious problems.

I'm sorry I did not directly address your individual issues.  I was simply inspired to put in a
good word for CentOS.  :)

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)