[clue-tech] Questions about CentOS/Fedora

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Feb 25 21:09:54 MST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:24:19 -0700
Collins Richey wrote:

> After modprobing snd-seq-css snd-pcm-oss and
> snd-mixer-oss, I get a /dev/mixer device, and I can 'play
> somefile.wav', but the system soundcard routines and the volume
> control on the GNOME panel are still dead. I shouldn't need to
> modprobe. These should be loaded automatically.

Check your /etc/modules.conf file (or maybe modprobe.conf). I don't know
how to find out what the specific line you'll need is. Used to be a line
like

alias char-major-nn {sound-card-module}

but then that changed to

alias sound-slot-0 {sound-card-module}

and now in FC3 (maybe this is a udev thing? or maybe a kernel 2.6 thing?)

alias sound-card-0 {sound-card-module}

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E