[clue-tech] Best practice network design?

JD. Brown brownstixzz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 14:29:12 MST 2005

> My problem is this: I need to have a Windows server in the DMZ
> authenticate users against the Windows Domain, but in order for this to
> work I have to open every single blessed port Windows talks on to make it
> work - making the DMZ completely useless.

For your Windows Server behind the DMZ, Open your standard service ports and
than here comes the pain!

For your ports above 1000. You will have to assign your RPC ports "statically"
on your Windows server. Here's a link on Microsoft's website to do so:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154596

This has been about the only way, I've been able to get cross server platforms
with different OS's to work effectively with a Windows network.

Windows can be a mega pain to get it to talk to the rest of the network world.

;)

JD