[clue-tech] trouble installing Suse

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Tue Jan 4 19:02:13 MST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, John S Brigham wrote:

> Computer is
>
> Dell
>
> Hard drive                     Western Digital  Model WD64AA-75AA
> CD-ROM                      Toshiba Model XM-6102B
> Bios Version A04
>
> I am trying to load Suse from CDs.  I have worked in linuxrc and always
> get an "installation fail" error.
>
> I am pretty sure that I do not have the correct drivers for the above
> hard drive and cd-rom.

I'd be surprised if SuSE doesn't recognize the above CD-ROM drive:
it's a standard ATAPI drive, right?

I last installed SuSE at version 7.3 a few years ago.  I could not get
it to install on a machine with a CD-ROM drive: I had to swap out the
CD-ROM drive for a CD-RW drive.  After that, it magically worked.

For some reason that SuSE install wanted a drive that did read/write,
despite the fact that that give you CD-ROM disks to install from.  I never
did figure it out.