[clue-tech] Best practice network design?

Chris Wiegand cwiegand at signalbhn.org
Wed Jan 5 10:14:34 MST 2005

But even if you used a VPN, if your reason for putting the box in the DMZ is
that it has public services, and as such could theoretically be hacked, then
putting a VPN on it does nothing for security, as if it got hacked, then they
would just come in by VPN instead of through the open ports, and in fact, the
VPN would probably give them more access unless you lock it down as well..
Opening the ports on the firewall, restricting it to just those ports and
src/dest IPs as needed is probably more secure than just using a VPN, in my
humble opinion..

Chris Wiegand
Network Administrator / Programmer
Signal BHN