[clue-tech] Embedded Content on a Web Page

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Jan 5 20:22:24 MST 2005

I've been asked by a client to include a PDF inline on a web page.

Ignoring the question of "why not just link to it instead?" ...

Is there any reason to use the OBJECT tag or an IFRAME?

I know the OBJECT tag lets me specify a content type. Other than that, I
see no particular advantage to one or the other, at least in theory.

In practice, Gaelon, Firefox, and Mozilla all open it up in a seperate
window when I use OBJECT. (Forget to try that one in Konq.) Whereas with
IFRAME, Gaelon, Firefox, Mozilla, and Konq all open it inline, albeit with
varying degrees of success.

My reading of the OBJECT tag is that content should still be displayed
inline. But, unless there's some major thing I haven't understood, I
figure I'll just use an IFRAME.

Any thoughts?

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E