[clue-tech] Best practice network design?

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 09:10:28 MST 2005

--- Chris Schock <black at clapthreetimes.com> wrote:
> You'd be surprised (well, maybe not) at the kinds of solutions people
> propose in forums. My favorite is the guy who says to just jam another
> NIC into the box, and plug that into the internal network so it's got a
> leg on both sides of the firewall... Voila! No firewall rules necessary
> at all! :)

We had an AIX sysadmin do this. He had one box on the outside of the
firewall and the other on the inside. They were connected via second
interfaces which let them bypass the firewall. Unfortunately he didn't
tell anyone he did it and when it was discovered, he was "released from
his contract" :-)  (He was a little unstable anyway.)

Carl