[clue-tech] weird dns problem

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jan 12 17:43:13 MST 2005

Charles Oriez wrote:
> At 07:44 AM 1/12/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:29:36 -0700, Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm running into a weird problem that I hope is the way the ISP
>> > managing dns has configured dns.

I thought it might be your mail server.  Or perhaps your DNS zone(s).
But the plot thickens...

(Your dig output looks correct though it seems irrelevant since missouri
isn't in the headers).

Let's look at the headers (the one to ohio is first, to rmc second, as
you pasted them)...

Both say:

 > To: "'Charles Oriez'" <coriez at oriez.org>
 > Cc: <oriez at rmc.sierraclub.org>, <oriez at ohio.sierraclub.org>

and all below that is uninteresting.  Both messages took the same path
through Comcast and then hit Sierra Club:

 >      by grassroots.sierraclub.org (8.12.8/8.12.8) with ESMTP id
 > j0C4U3gZ008754
 >      for <oriez at ohio.sierraclub.org>; Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:30:03 -0700

 >      by rmc.sierraclub.org (8.12.8/8.12.8) with ESMTP id
 > j0C4P7Ye002576
 >      for <oriez at rmc.sierraclub.org>; Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:25:07 -0700

So it looks like the MX for ohio is grassroots but the MX for rmc is
rmc.  The next hop (geb) shows:

 >         by geb.den.nilenet.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id DA3AC1148E
 >         for <coriez at oriez.org>; Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:27:05 -0700 (MST)

 >         by geb.den.nilenet.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8ED6E11467
 >         for <coriez at oriez.org>; Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:26:54 -0700 (MST)

Since the grassroots and rmc IPs are different it is likely that they
are different machines.  I'd bet that the sending client sends one copy
and Comcast splits it into two (because there are different destinations
for ohio and rmc).  I doubt that Comcast mangles the From header.

Probably grassroots and rmc are configured slightly differently.  One
mangles the From header (or the Return-Path header causing subsequent
mangling of the From header, perhaps) and the other doesn't.

DNS may still have a role in this.  Maybe the sendmails behave
differently because one is on rmc and the other isn't on ohio, or
because of the MXs for the various machines.

Seems odd though to suspect DNS for wierd mail headers.