[clue-tech] Upgrading

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Jan 13 14:39:31 MST 2005

Roy asked:

> Got some CDs on the way,  and it's time to start thinking about it.
> You guys have any thoughts on the matter?

I'm sure methods of upgrading are as various as distros, so I don't
pretend to think my way is the best way, but you asked... :)

I keep all of my user data in /home, on a separate partition from
root, /usr, /var, and whatever else.  Then, when I need to do an
upgrade I actually re-format all partitions *except* the /home one and
possibly /var (to preserve log files).  That way I'm sure I don't get
residual effects from old packages, and at the same time I'm preserving
my data files.

Note that many files in /etc are useful to keep, too.  The
password/shadow files are important, as are things like network
interface definitions (if you're not using DHCP) or the hosts file.
Other system configuration things vary depending on what your box is
running.  Typically I copy the entire /etc directory temporarily
into /home before an install (cp -a /etc /home) and then just compare
the new post-install file with the pre-install one to make appropriate
changes.

This may not be the best/most efficient way to go about it, but I find
that it works well for me.  YMMV.

Jeff