[clue-tech] Memorex TravelDrive Flash Drive with Linux

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jan 13 17:11:27 MST 2005

Dirk Huizenga wrote:
> I just bought a Memorex travelDrive 256Mb USB 2.0 flash drive to use
> with my Linux boxes (6 and growing) and I cannot get it to work.
> Memorex, despite Linux 2.4.x compatibility on the package and
> documentation, does not have a clue (no pun intended).
>
> Here's what my message log says on my Red Hat Linux version 2.4.21-9.EL:
>
>    Jan 13 04:39:34 mt-eolus kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:10.3-3,
>    assigned address 41
>    Jan 13 04:39:34 mt-eolus kernel: usb.c: USB device not responding,
>    giving up (error=-71)

It's dead Jim.  (That's my guess anyway.)

[...]
> Has anyone got one of these drives working under Linux?  If what brand
> and did you have to do any added configuration?

I've used a Cruzer mini.  It's USB 2 but my PC is only USB 1.  With a
2.4 kernel it was no problem.  The modules I used (dependents on the top):

sd_mod
usb-storage
scsi_mod
usb-uhci
usbcore

although all I had to modprobe was usb-uhci and usb-storage (probably
there's various FAT and other fs stuff when mounting).

So I'd say your drive is dead.  Get a drive you know works and if it
works on your PC figure out how to get warranty coverage from Memorex.
You can also try your drive on Windows, if you want to rule out Linux as
the problem.