[clue-tech] FC4 grub woes

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 19:29:22 MDT 2005

On 7/5/05, j.cann at comcast.net <j.cann at comcast.net> wrote:
> So, I killed the grub-install /dev/hda command and rebooted with the change to the grub.conf intact -- root (hd0,1).
>
> This time grub did load my system.
>
> So, I think what happened is:
>
> 1.  The anaconda upgrade needed to build a new map for the drive but it didn't.
>
> 2.  I ran the grub-install --recheck /dev/hda and this built a new map, but incorrectly set the boot to the second partition.
>
> 3.  I manually fixed the /boot/grub/grub.conf and changed to the correct boot partition -- root (hd0,1) to root (hd0,0)
>
> 4.  Running grub-install after this change appeared to do nothing.
>
> 5.  Reboot (is this windows?) fixed it ;)
>
> I appreciate any other ideas on why it broke.

No clue how you got here, but

1. yes you must have hd0,0 as the root statement in your grub stanza
if hda1 is your /boot partition.

2. I never (since day one many years ago) use grub-install. Any time I
need to install grub into the mbr, I use

execute grub
root (hd?,?)   grub address of the partition containing /boot/grub
setup (hd0)    drive address where the mbr will be written

Always works, all the time, unless you have a raid setup, and then
there are a few more details, such as doing this on both the primary
and secondary drives.

In the above quoted material, I don't understand what you mean by
"anaconda needing to build a new map".  Why would a new map be needed
if you haven't changed the partition setup?

Also, "reboot fixed it". Well, doh from my viewpoint, you have to
reboot to find out whether grub can boot your system ;).

Good luck,

--
 Collins
       Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but