[clue-tech] Qwest Choice Internet Basic (DSL) Gotcha - bridge mode not supported?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jul 18 18:42:23 MDT 2005

Chris Schock wrote:
[...]
> Qwest probably dumped the Cisco because the CBOS that was on many of them
> had some kind of problem with the Windows IIS worm, and we know how
> prolific they are, even today.

I'd guess it was the price of Cisco hardware.  When I got mine they were
$200.  And only one LAN port so you had to get a separate switch.

> Qwest/Cisco published an upgrade to take care of that some years back, but
> the upgrade process was probably far too daunting for the average home
> user. Last time I looked on ebay the Cisco 678 was pretty cheap.

To block the IIS worm merely required blocking port 80 on the WAN
connection (which should have been done anyway).  That wasn't too
daunting.  I don't remember, but if Cisco Commander did firmware, even
that was point and click.