[clue-tech] Qwest Choice Internet Basic (DSL) Gotcha - bridge mode not supported?

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Mon Jul 18 14:11:00 MDT 2005

> I finally got sick of it and bought a Zoom at CompUSA. I do wish I
> could find one of the Cisco modems, though - I had one of the
> deprecated models years ago and it worked in bridging mode by
> default... why Qworst had to go and switch to the shoddy Actiontecs, I
> have no idea.

Qwest probably dumped the Cisco because the CBOS that was on many of them
had some kind of problem with the Windows IIS worm, and we know how
prolific they are, even today.

Qwest/Cisco published an upgrade to take care of that some years back, but
the upgrade process was probably far too daunting for the average home
user. Last time I looked on ebay the Cisco 678 was pretty cheap.