[clue-tech] Qwest Choice Internet Basic (DSL) Gotcha - bridge mode not supported?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:44:45 MDT 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 7:51 am, Chris Schock wrote:
> The Actiontec has NAT built in, and this will allow you to share your
> connection with multiple PC's.

I agree with everthing you wrote

> I have Qwest DSL (but not Internet Basic) with an Actiontec modem and
> share the connection with my other four computers without any trouble.

Here's where I think we differ - the ISP protocol available to me via Qwest
Internet basic vs those for the ISP service you use.  In the actiontec
configuration application, there is the 'non-windows' setup (aka gateway
configuration).  There are four options for ISP protocol:

1.  RFC 1483 Bridged
2.  RFC 1483 Routed
3.  PPPoA
4.  PPPoE

My Qwest Internet Basic account *only* works for the PPPoA ISP protocol.  I
know this because I tried every combination above.  I'm guessing that your
ISP service allows one of the RFC 1483 types.

So despite the fact that the actiontec does do NAT, there's no way for me to
change the ISP protocol, which somehow changes the behavior of the modem.
I'm apparently only paying for PPPoA, not for the ability to bridge the WAN
to multiple LANs.

I chose the Internet Basic because I didn't need an MSN email account or
personal web pages or all of the other 'addons' they sell with the 'premium'
DSL ISP services (this includes the other third party ISPs).

This is an artificial way for Qwest to add on for DSL, IMHO.  I thought I was
paying for the ability to 'share my DSL connection', which is not true
without extra equipment and/or paying more for a higher ISP service.

> If nothing else, buy a cheapie Linksys or D-Link router and have that do
> the NAT for you, and attach it to the Actiontec. It will be a lot easier
> than setting up an entire Linux box to do NAT.

I agree that a simple router will fix the problem.

But, to get some ideas on how people are setting up for NAT on Linux was my
aim in this post.  I probably wasn't clear enough on this point ;0

Thanks for the feedback.
Jeff
--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
        - Albert Einstein