[clue-tech] Qwest Choice Internet Basic (DSL) Gotcha - bridge mode not supported?

Chris Schock black at clapthreetimes.com
Tue Jul 19 06:11:35 MDT 2005

> Here's where I think we differ - the ISP protocol available to me via
> Qwest
> Internet basic vs those for the ISP service you use.  In the actiontec
> configuration application, there is the 'non-windows' setup (aka gateway
> configuration).  There are four options for ISP protocol:
>
> 1.  RFC 1483 Bridged
> 2.  RFC 1483 Routed
> 3.  PPPoA
> 4.  PPPoE
>
> My Qwest Internet Basic account *only* works for the PPPoA ISP protocol.
> know this because I tried every combination above.  I'm guessing that your
> ISP service allows one of the RFC 1483 types.

To have DSL service, you have to select a DSL provider (Qwest) and then an
ISP to route your data. The ISP doesn't dictate anything about the DSL
characteristics, they deal with more of the software side like what your
email addresses is, whether you have a static IP, etc.

I think all Qwest DSL customers use PPPoA, I know I do and I have an
Actiontec modem. Someone please pipe up if this isn't true.

Maybe Qwest recently changed their policies, but I thought it was like
this for everyone.