[clue-tech] Qwest Choice Internet Basic (DSL) Gotcha - bridge mode not supported?

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:55:39 MDT 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 6:52 pm, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> You want PPPoA with the modem doing DCHP on the LAN and NAT between the
> LAN addresses and your static address.

That's what I thought, but when I configure it as PPPoA with DHCP and NAT
turned on, here's what happens when I plug in the DSL line into my 4 port
hub:

1.  The hosts can talk to each other on the LAN.
2.  None of them can get to the WAN.

FWIW, on the Linux hosts, I do 'service network stop/start', which I'm
assuming does a DHCP release/renew.  The output of the commands
	$ sudo service network start
	Bringing up loopback interface:                     [  OK  ]
	Bringing up interface eth0:
	Determining IP information for eth0... done.  [  OK  ]

That last line I took as an indicate that the NIC is getting a new DHCP lease.

What's interesting is that after I restart the network, I get the *same* IP
assigned on the DSL LAN as I did on the Comcast LAN.  Is this a coincidence
or did I not actually get a new lease?  What's the best way to confirm?

The more I think about it, maybe I put in the wrong default gateway when I
setup the static IP.  I'll try it again and report back.

This whole thread could be that I'm just an idiot when it comes to network
configuration  ;)

Thanks for the suggestions.
Jeff
--
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
        - Albert Einstein